PAPERWORK What Documents and Forms you Need

Before your marriage can be conducted, two forms need to be completed –

1.    Notice of Intended Marriage (Form 13)
2.    The Declaration (Form 14)

Notice of Intended Marriage

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be completed not more than 18 months and not less than one month and one day before the ceremony.

I have a copy of the NOIM and it can be completed during your first meeting with me.  You must though provide proof for the questions asked in the NOIM so you will need to take certain documents with you –

  • Birth Certificate for each person as proof of identity and date and place of birth
  • If under 18 years, the parents’ consents on the required form plus a court order
  • If previously married, a Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute, remember, you cannot get married if you do not have the divorce certificate.
  • If a widow or widower, the Death Certificate of the deceased spouse

NOTE:  If a party to a marriage was born overseas and does not have, nor is able to obtain, a Birth Certificate, they will need a passport issued by the government of the country in which they were born.  If that is not possible, they will need a statutory declaration meeting the requirements of Section 42 of the Marriage Act 1961. If you are a new Australian Citizen please bring along your Citizenship Certificate.

You will also need to know –

  • Your parents full names and countries of birth
  • Details of any previous marriage such as how many and the date’s any marriage/s took place
  • Number and birth dates of any children from any previous marriage/s

All documentation can be in English, Spanish or Italian which are the languages I speak.

You can access a copy of the NOIM on the Attorney General’s website at

The Declaration

This is simply a form which must be completed by each party declaring you are legally entitled to be married and that you are not married to anyone else, are not in a prohibited relationship, and that there are no legal reasons why you should not marry.  I have copies of this form and will be able to witness your signatures.

Other Forms

There are only three other forms you need to know about - Form 14A and your Certificates of Marriage (Forms 15 and 16).

Form 14A is a document outlining the obligations and consequences of marriage and is required by the Attorney General to be given to you together with information on relationship support services available.  There is nothing to ‘fill in’.

At the conclusion of your marriage, you will need to sign three (3) certificates –

1.    An official certificate for registration purposes (Form 16).  This is sent to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
2.    A second official certificate which is kept in a register by the celebrant
3.    A marriage certificate (Form 15) which you keep

The marriage certificates should be signed using the parties’ usual signatures and pre-marriage names.


While your marriage certificate is an official document which has security features to protect it, it is not a document of identity, but is evidence of a person’s legal status.  

It cannot be used as proof of identity such as when applying for an Australian passport.  For this, you will need to obtain a registered copy of your certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where your marriage was solemnised.  

I am not able to provide you with a registered copy of your marriage certificate, but can request a registered copy on your behalf when lodging your certificate of marriage.  You will need to pay the prescribed fee for this.






 Brisbane Weddings & Ceremonies

Adriana Turbay-Tiratel CMC 

Ph: +61 7 3800 6921

Mob: 0412 031 416